In order to make the most of your appointment, here is a checklist that may help you plan for a pleasant and productive visit.
- Compile all the documents to bring to your doctor’s visit. This includes:
- – Copies of any tests, x-rays or medical records related to your medical problems
- – A list of all medications taken, including over-the-counter and herbal medications.
- Review any special directions from your doctor about diet or medication restrictions prior to your appointment.
- Ask a friend or relative to accompany you if you wish. Depending on the type of appointment you have, you may need someone to take you home.
- Request for an interpreter or communication support if needed.
- Do not be afraid to ask if you do not understand. Be sure to ask your doctor any questions or express any concerns you have.
- Here are examples of what you may want to ask your doctor:
- – About your symptoms or diagnosis, such as the severity of your condition, what causes the condition etc
- – About your treatment, such as the treatment options, duration of treatment, the cost of treatment, any side effects etc.
- – If surgery is required, consider asking what are the procedures recommended, any alternatives, how much would it cost etc.
- If you prefer to see another doctor, we will make every effort to schedule additional tests and consultations at the earliest available time.
- If you need to be admitted, we will coordinate the admission arrangements and provide the hospital with information prior to your arrival.